Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Dress Hunt

This is a flash back about the process of finding the dress (over a year ago) and how being plus sized effected that.

The first place I went to was David's Bridal where they took some information on the wedding and my preferences about the dress. I told them my size, 18, and the woman looked at me, up and down, and said "lets start with a 22..."
Have no illusions, I know I have big hips and frankly, a big butt, but I also know my waist line. I'm 8 shape. Hips up to a proportionately smaller waist, then back out to the chest and shoulders. But I am not a 22, and I knew it.
The lady returned with the 22 which frankly, to me, looked horrid. I put it on... it sat off my body by a good 2 inches. I opened the door, one hand holding the dress up so I wasn't indecent, and looked at the lady helping me, "should I let it go?" The woman put a finger to her lips, looked me over again and muttered, "maybe an 18..."

I tried to keep a happy face and said "ok, let's try it."

She brought me a bunch of dresses over the course of 2 hours or more. Finally, toward the end of the session she brought me two dresses. I tried on the first and it seemed very elegant. We'd told her our price range but when we looked at the ticket, with the dress on, my heart froze. It was easily 1,000 dollars over budget. I froze "oh lord get it off..." I can't afford this dress, i don't care how pretty it is. Off! I can't afford to even potentially damage this dress. We carefully took it off like it had suddenly turned to glass.

The next looked a little more promising but the largest size they had "in the store" to quote the lady was a 14. So we tried it on to see the front but didn't zip the back. It was lovely. Could this be it? I stepped out to the mirror and was beaming. It had everything i wanted. The price wasn't bad. I was thrilled.

And then the attendant came back, "so what do we think?"
"I love it!" I replied. My mom asked, "so do we just take measurements and order the size we need?"
"Actually..." The finger returned to her mouth and my heart stopped again, "the designer only makes this dress in a 14..."
Both of our faces fell. What? Why would you put me in a dress i could never have? It can't even be altered that big... I took the dress off, coveting everything about it, and left. I'd never been so hurt... what did the attendant expect me to do? Lypo? or maybe just stop eating for a few months to drop 4 dress sizes?

We gave up on David's Bridal and then we decided, once I stiffened my lip, that we'd try another store, recommended by a friend of the family, "Bridal Elegance."

The shop was smaller, but beautifully laid out, first by size, then by style. The sweet lady at the door helped me to the sections that would best fit me and then helped me narrow it down by style. We pulled 4 dresses. The first was a no go, the second I liked, I tried on the third, then the second again, then the forth, and then the second again... Mom raised an eye brow, "haven't you tried this one on a few times now?"
"yea..." I replied with a big smile.

It was the one. I wont tell you the details until after the big day because someone hasn't seen it yet.
I wish more stores were friendly toward Plus Brides. David's bridal not only had a small selection of dresses, but had not tact in dealing with my situation. Maybe they are normally better, but for me, it was the end of my work with them.  I wish the fashion industry would catch up to the times and offer larger sizes of their styles. I know that not every dress works with every body type, heck I'd never wear one of those trumpet dresses but that doesn't mean it wont work for another plus bride.

Every woman deserves to feel beautiful on her big day, 
and that shouldn't have to be altered just because she happens to have curves.


No comments:

Post a Comment